Waterloo Region has recently changed its policy on urban waste collection, and they’ve encountered a problem. The day after the new policy was put into place, the demand for green bins surpassed the supply by a shocking amount.
Over 20,000 green bins were given out last year alone, compared to the annual norm of around 6,000. And now, only four months into this year, over 11,000 more have been distributed. Despite those somewhat frightening statistics, the situation is by no means unfixable.
The heightened demand for green bins in the city indicates that its citizens are dedicated to the cause, and already were before the waste program had even changed. When the new rules became valid, an unmanageable amount of bins was needed, and staff is working hard to produce more.
Waste management began creating and delivering green bins to houses seven years ago, and demand has been inconsistent since then. Although the backup green bin supply has been used up, the stockpile should be full again by the end of the month.
Waterloo Region reportedly still has some blue boxes up for grabs. Homeowners should keep a close eye on their district’s website for relevant updates.
Why book with CORE?
When ordering a disposal or mini bin there are a few questions to ask yourself.
- How big of a bin do I need?
- Do I have enough room to conveniently maneuver around the bin on my property?
- Where would I like the driver to place the bin?
- What am I going to fill the bin with?
- How long am I going to need the bin for?
If you have answered those questions and are wondering if you missed anything check out our FAQ page for more info
When our clientele orders a bin this is what we think of:
- What area is the disposal or mini bin going into?
- Is there ample room for the truck required to deliver and pickup the disposal or mini bin?
- Where are we going to take the material that is not only cost effective, but environmentally friendly?